Tuesday, June 9, 2009

home-cooked

I miss cooking. Like, I really miss it. But, just as much as I miss cooking at home I miss eating home-cooked meals. It just so happens I was usually cooking them.

We’ve had some great meals on the road and tasted the work of some very talented chefs but, I don’t think anything compares to food made at home by ordinary people with extraordinary care.

On our way to Kruger we stayed at the Utopia of Africa guesthouse in Nelspruit where we were treated to our first home-cooked meals since leaving the States.

Friday night all 8 of us piled around the table and passed around dishes of flawlessly spiced lamb and spinach curry, perfectly roasted winter veggies, provolone and prosciutto wrapped asparagus topped with chutney and salad overflowing with fresh berries and nuts. We ended the already amazing meal with a heavenly pineapple bundt cake served with warm cream.

Why I never served cake with warm cream before is beyond me…but, I promise to never make the mistake again.

Breakfast the next day was just as lovely with fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon, breads, quiche and yummy locally grown and freshly squeezed orange juice.

A big thanks to the proprietor, Patricia and her cook, Emily, for making us feel at home in the best way possible- around the table with friends, enjoying good wine and scrumptious food.

No comments: