Wednesday, October 14, 2009

move over andrew zimmern



she's been talking about it since before we left in january and i have to say i didn't believe half of what she said she eat. i, now, humbly admit i far underestimated my wife's threshold for bizarre foods and her gag reflex.

a balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled or steamed. it is very popular street food in the philippines.

behold...champion of the balut:


what kills me is how nonchalant she was about it. lets just say there were no kisses on the mouth that evening.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I saw this in Vietnam. I can't believe you ate that!!!
I draw the line at canines. If you eat dog meat, Julie, we can no longer be friends.

Anonymous said...

I do not eat animals that we would have as pets in the western world... except a horse. I hate horses, but I haven't eaten one of those either.

MAV said...

kristy- if she eats anything worse than this we won't be married anymore ;)