Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I dream of Genie this cake.

My Granny-in-law was kind enough to bake my favorite cake for my birthday this year. It's what Southerners refer to as a "lemon cheese cake"...



It isn't a cheesecake in any sense. It is a cheese (space) cake. I have zero idea why they call it that because it is her regular sour cream pound cake layers (aka- pure heaven) iced with homemade lemon curd.

I've been trying to replicate her cakes for almost 9 years to no avail. Like I use the exact same ingredient brands she uses and have even had Julie time how long she does stuff kind of attempts. I've almost got the layers down, but her icings require more skill than I apparently possess. For those who don't know me- I'm pretty freaking skilled in the baking department, meaning her skill level is through the roof.

I've made this cake once and it was pretty close except I screwed up with the cooking temp a little and had minuscule bits of the cooked egg in the icing. It still tasted good, but it wasn't the glassy perfection of curd that she cranks out like it was nothing.

I'm happy to bow down to her superiority though and even more happy that she cares enough to bake me a cake, my very favorite of her insanely delicious repertoire.

I gave up desserts and sweets for Lent. This cake is seriously haunting me right now.

No comments: