Monday, June 13, 2011

Dessert- Southern Style

We’ve been taking turns cooking on Wednesday nights.  I was tasked with a Southern meal. As a true Southern cook,  I, of course, went overboard.  So overboard that I forgot to take pictures.

I made fried chicken, salmon croquettes (spicy and regular), zucchini croquettes (spicy and regular), macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, deviled eggs and homemade biscuits and gravy.  I really wanted everyone to enjoy dinner, but I quickly learned that serving 10 people a quintessential Southern meal with one vegan, one part-time vegetarian, one who doesn’t eat pork or beef, and two who think anything that won’t set your tongue aflame is bland is no easy feat! 

The Wife was a huge help and did all the frying while I worked myself into a tizzy trying to get everything wrapped up in those last minutes.

I did manage to take a photo of my peach cobbler though…

DSC_0843

This is the Jules’ Gran’s recipe:

1 Stick of Butter

1 Can of Peaches or your fave fruit (or 3 fresh peaches sliced, but you’ll need to sugar them and let them sit so they produce juice)

1 Cup of Sugar

1 Cup of Milk

3/4 Cup of Self-Rising Flour

Melt the butter in your dish in the oven.  Pour in fruit and juice.  Mix the other ingredients in a bowl and pour over fruit and butter- DO NOT MIX.  Bake at 350 until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Super easy and I doubled all the ingredients except the fruit.  Jules hates cooked fruit and everyone knows the breading is the best part anyway.  You can even cut a little bit of the sinfulness out and still have a delicious cobbler- just use 3/4 stick of butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.

No comments: