Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hong Kong Style

DSC_0449

Proximity made Chops one of my usual lunch places when people wanted to impress me or get my business.  The last thing I ever wanted for lunch was a slab of beef making it was kind of a waste to dine at such a great Atlanta steakhouse.  I was on a crab cake kick when I finally found a dish I loved- Hong Kong style sea bass.  You can also get it at the Atlanta Fish Market since they’re owned by the same crazy guys.  I used to deal with them professionally and I mean they are CRAZY and not in a good way. 

I digress.

So, I’ve been to Hong Kong and I can’t tell you if this is even an actual style there, but it’s super yummy, pretty healthy and my version was on heavy rotation at our house back when we  lived at home. I added some mushrooms to make it a heartier meal this time since my fish was wee bit scrawny.

You’ll need:

- 1 package of baby portabellas (thickly sliced)

- 1 bunch spring onions (chopped leaving aside a handful for garnish)

- Inch or two of fresh ginger (dice most and then thinly sliced the rest for garnish- I’m a freak for fresh ginger so I add probably double this amount)

- 1 cup of  soy sauce

- 1/4 cup of orange juice

-2 fillets of your fave white (flakey but firm) fish i.e. halibut, sea bass, etc. I used hake since that was what was fresh here

-1 bag pre-cut spinach (hey, it’s easier)

- Rice (whatever your fave is- I used basmati because I had it and I like how light and fluffy it is for this light dish. Depending on what you use you may need to start it well before the rest of the dishes.  I’d say it takes about 25 minutes max to prep and cook veggies and fish.)

So cut your first 3 ingredients as stated…

DSC_0438

DSC_0437

DSC_0434

So you throw all this…

DSC_0439

into a pan on medium heat. Mix soy with orange juice and pour 2/3rds the mixture into the pot…

DSC_0444

Cook the mushrooms down until tender but not mushy.

While those are going, heat a tablespoon of evoo in a pan and then brown your fish fillets.  When they’re on their last minute I spoon some of the mushroom sauce (not the actual shrooms) over them for flavor.

DSC_0446

Last, but not least, pour in the remaining soy/orange juice mixture and spinach into a pot over high heat.  It will literally take seconds to wilt the spinach. Just stir constantly until it looks like this…

DSC_0445

Serve it all over rice and top with fresh ginger slices and spring onion…

DSC_0448

This is great summer fare- light, fresh and easy.

No comments: