Thursday, September 1, 2011

acai

I know we’ve been hearing about acai in the States for a few years now.  I’m sure Oprah had something to do with it.  Anyway, I know it is supposed to be some sort of miracle fruit that helps you lose weight.  Apparently, here in its home of Brazil it’s a cool treat…

DSC04920

We saw a woman with it while walking with M & S one day and they couldn’t believe we hadn’t had it yet.  I reminded them we were in Rio with zero Brazilian friends. What else should I be eating??? We turned the corner and found a little place that sold it.  It kinda looks like a big cup of yuck.  As we were waiting on the guy to make it, Julie turned to S and said “Oh, I can’t wait- looks delicious!”.  It actually was good.  They told us this one was a little too sweet because it is mixed with guarana syrup and the guy put too much.  I had another acai later and liked the sweeter one better. It comes with a little cup of granola that you sprinkle over it, so it is like a salty sweet frozen sorbet. Sort of.

It’s one of those things that as you eat it you can’t really figure it out so you just keep eating it.  I will say the one major downfall is how purple it stains your lips, mouth and teeth.  I was so embarrassed I had to hold my hand over my mouth through the lobby of the hotel. 

No comments: