Monday, December 26, 2011

chinese cooking classes

DSC_0066


I took 2 cooking classes in Shanghai, both learning some dim sum dishes. The first class we learned to make fried buns filled with pork. We made the dough from scratch and let me tell you these little suckers were tricky to fold properly…


DSC05457


DSC05464


IMG_2095


I was kinda ticked when she just flipped them over into the frying pan and you didn’t even see the painstaking folds…


DSC05485


DSC05486


They were pretty good though.


The spring rolls were much easier to fold and better than any restaurant spring roll I’ve ever had…


IMG_2124


The best part of the class was that we got to eat our food afterwards. Actually, the best part was the teacher who spoke about 3 words of English and had the best laugh ever. She was a hoot…


IMG_2108


In our next class we learned to make steamed shrimp rolls in a myriad of shapes…


DSC_0022


DSC_0020


DSC_0023


DSC_0026


IMG_5290


I was thrilled to find out what the dough of the steamed rolls are made out of – cornstarch and water. That's it. Interesting, huh?


We then made pot stickers which were very similar to the fried buns except no baking powder in the dough so they weren’t as puffy. Also, the fold was much easier and I could crank them out like a machine…


DSC_0043


DSC_0044


DSC_0045


These were by far the best tasting thing we made. We were mighty proud and ate about a million of them.


It was a fun way to spend an afternoon with the girls and made me miss having a kitchen all the more!


DSC_0013


DSC_0029

2 comments:

ablackwelder said...

oooh....I can't wait for you to make them for us! Or teach me how to make them, and we can make them together! Just me and you in the kitchen on a cold Sunday afternoon.....that would be awesome!

MMM said...

I loved it!! amazing afternoon...and delicious dumplings ;)