Tuesday, March 17, 2009

heaven, i'm in heaven....

We arrived in Greece on Sunday around 1pm...we had eaten on the plane (btw- not too bad Emirates) but were pretty hungry after we got to the hotel. We wandered around the Plaka until we spotted a cafe, where we may or may not have dined during our honeymoon (we're still debating), and grabbed a couple of seats outside under the heater.

I, of course, ordered a Greek salad and Jules went for the turkey and cheese crepe. My salad was sadly a big disappointment. Not only did it have lettuce, the tomatoes were just so-so and worst of all- NO OLIVES?!?!? Luckily, the crepe was delicious and even better luck my Wife shared it with me :)

Our exhaustion and jet lag beat out any hunger that evening so we skipped dinner all together.

Breakfast the next morning at our hotel was lovely...it's very Greek with hordes of beautiful cheeses, meats, and veggies...not to mention the restaurant overlooks the Acropolis so you can't really beat it.

Last night we had our first dinner at a restaurant I had found online recommended by some guy named Matt who is apparently a Greece expert. Owned by a brother and sister (their parent's place is up the street and we're hitting it soon) it turned out to be a pretty typical taverna- small in size and big in name-Oinomagerio Paradosiako.

We started with some tzatziki which was great and so heavy on the garlic that it burned our mouths in that really great garlic-y kind of way.

I, again, went for the Greek salad. This time there was not a lettuce leaf in sight...only a huge hunk of feta, olives, onions, cucumbers and gorgeous tomatoes...the way a Greek salad should be...



I had also ordered some roasted lemon potatoes to round out my meal. If we've ever talked food then you know I believe potatoes to be the most perfect food. I've never met one I didn't love and these were no exception. I adore Greek style potatoes...all crispy on the outside, wonderfully soft in the middle and infused with lemon. Combined with my favorite salad it was, for me, a truly perfect meal.

Jules went for the beef steak and was more than pleased to receive a huge hunk of red meat for dinner...


I think it is safe to say they have not seen the last of us.

No comments: