Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hunter Valley

DSC_0159


We’ve been big fans of the Australian Shiraz for a while and can’t get enough of the New Zealand’s Marlborough region’s Sauvignon Blanc. Needless to say we were pretty excited about our trip up to the Hunter Valley wine region.


The Hunter Valley is home to only a couple of large wineries but dozens and dozens of small boutique wineries selling almost exclusively from their own cellars. It was great tasting all these little treasures that you can’t get anywhere else in the world (or really anywhere else in Oz for that matter)…


DSC_0188


I love visiting wineries for two reasons- 1. drinking your way through the day is always a good time and 2. I love all the great things you learn from the wine makers. I always come away knowing a little bit more about what I’m drinking, why I like it and how to enjoy it more with food.


The wineries in Hunter Valley have some insanely knowledgeable staff members that really made the day just that much more enjoyable for me.


I came away with a new love for Semillon both the dry and sweet versions, but not the overtly citrusy ones.


I learned that our palates put together the flavor of wine like pieces of a puzzle and each sip allows us to taste it more completely. Hello- that is why the first sip is never that great and the wine seems to get better and better. It is actually tasting better and not, as one of our sassier hosts said, “ just because your getting pissed”.


Best of all I learned a new pairing secret- spicy food + sweet whites = heaven!

No comments: