Tuesday, November 29, 2011

last pot

I was really excited about going to Chengdu and no, not only for the pandas.  Every Chinese friend we have has talked to us about visiting Sichuan Provence and how amazing and spicy the food is there.  Amazing and spicy?  I’m in!

I wanted to try as many of the specialties that I could while there, but because of our limited time and hectic tour schedule, we really only had one chance at dinner Saturday night.  One person in the group insisted on organizing dinner, meaning we didn’t get much of a say about where we were going for dinner. And guess what??

DSC_1958

Yeah, another Chinese hot pot.  Oily and gross. 

I did discover that it wasn’t anise in the previous hot pot and actually the Sichuan pepper- which to me tastes like  spicy anise with almost a numbing feeling in your mouth when you eat it. 

DSC_1960

See those green berry-looking things hanging there?  Those are Sichuan peppers. Word to the wise-  if you don’t like anise - you won’t like these.

Anyway, I am on a total strike from any further hot pot meals in China. 

No comments: